Skip to content
  1. Home
  2. News & Events
  3. Where To Begin?

Where To Begin?

Where to begin?

When noticing that an elderly member of your family isn’t coping and is struggling to manage day to day it can be hard to know what steps to take or where to look.  So often discussing your concerns with them and finding the right words can be challenging.

There are people who can support you and your loved one through this time and help you make the right decision.

  1. Assess Eligibility for Rest Home / Continuing Care

Make an appointment with their GP for referral to NASC (Needs Assessment Services Coordinator).  This is to see if your loved one is eligible for long term care in a rest home and whether they qualify for disability support from NZ Health Te Whatu Ora, Hawke’s Bay.

  1. What is a Needs Assessment?

A Needs Assessor will discuss the specific health requirements of your family member.  They will work with whanau to discuss options and support services that may be available.  The outcome of the discussions will let you know whether your family member is eligible for rest home care, continuing care, or dementia care.
If your choice of rest home has a contract with the NZ Health Te Whatu Ora, Hawke’s Bay the cost of care can be covered by government funding.

  1. Choosing the Right Rest Home

It is an important decision. People have different needs, so all factors must be considered.  Is the rest home close to extended family? Are they familiar with the area?  Visit a range of facilities nearby and ask those important questions, ease any concerns you may have, so the right choice is made for you and yours.

  1. Apply for a Residential Care Subsidy

Once eligible for rest home care, a Residential Care Subsidy Application to receive public funding can be completed. Once again, your Needs Assessor can help you with this form. The subsidy helps with the cost of care and is paid directly to the rest home or hospital.
The subsidy you get depends on your income and assets.  Work and Income is responsible for assessing the assets and income of those who apply. This is called a financial means assessment.   Manatu Hauora, the Ministry of Health, assesses all other aspects of eligibility, including the start date of the subsidy payments.   Follow this link for more detailed information and easy to read steps to follow The Process. Residential Care Subsidy – Work and Income

  1. The Rest Home Admission Agreement

Before moving into your choice of rest home, an Admission Agreement needs to be signed. This agreement is to protect the resident and the rest home and sets out the responsibilities and expectations of both parties.  This will cover services provided by the rest home and any extra services you may have agreed to receive and pay for.
Once this Admission Agreement has been signed your loved one will be able to move into the rest home of their choice.

Be assured that your loved one will be well-treated and safe.

People often tell us they ‘feel the difference’ when they visit one of our rest homes, and we’d love to share that with you.